Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Final update on the HAZARD project

So, when I said "All I have left is X,Y, and Z" the other day, well, those were the most labor intensive parts. First up, I finished laying the black paint in the armor lines of the canopy. The purpose here was too show off the canopy's detail, and break up the overall orange in a critical place.
I used a small brush to lay down a thin bead of watered down black paint in each indented line, then wiped off the excess. There was some clean up necessary, because the black paint dried quickly, or stained the orange, so i had to buff it out and apply another few light coats of orange to cover it. It faded the black lines slightly, but they still stand out.

That left the treads, which had already been painted orange in the key armor areas, then masked so the tread and bogey areas were still visible, then sprayed black. They were then masked a second time to leave only the bogey areas exposed, as seen below. A metallic charcoal was applied lightly to the bogey areas, the same color used for the cannons. Both of them will be dry brushed with bright silver to bring out the details.

This left dry brushing and of both the treads and the cannons, and touching up of the orange and black wherever it bled. I'll admit, I got an orange brush on paint that was as close as possible to the krylon color of the tanks, but it doesn't match, and shows in some places on the armor plates of the treads, but I think the blemishes that it covers up looked far worse.


I had to power through the clear coating, because the weather was just not cooperating with me. To get the best results with the matte finish clear coat, there needs to be little to no humidity, and of course it rained all last night and then the temp rose to 80 over the coarse of the day, so conditions weren't optimal. I tried to offset this by using a hair dryer to dry the clear coat quickly and avoid the coat getting cloudy. So i was running outside, spraying each piece, then running inside to blow it dry. And it was past midnight. I'm not very popular among my neighbors.

That is it for the painting labor. Tomorrow I start assembling and stickering them, and there will be finished pics posted on Hisstank.com and Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I think that panel Lining was a key step...can't wait to see finished pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hazard HISS looks amazing. Really well done concept.

    I've had similar situation where touch ups were required after using a spray paint. Rather than using a new colour that may not be perfectly tinted, I will spray a portion of the spray paint used into a small container and quickly work to dab the paint into the areas required. The spray paint will dry quickly so you have to work fast but you can't beat the effect for small touch-ups. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin!!!! I have done that spray the paint into a cap trick before too, and I tried to do it this time but the Krylon orange paint just didn't coat well over the black that leaked from the treads. That was why I opted for a brush on this time, even though the color didn't match, it was thick enough to hide the black a little better. Plus, at that point I was probably not thinking straight from the paint fumes.

      Delete